The Wellington Tenths Trust was established to administer Māori reserve
lands, largely in urban Wellington. It also administers a rural block in
Kaitoke. The Reserve has a set of beneficial owners descended from Te Atiawa,
Ngāti Tupaia, Taranaki and Ngāti Tama tūpuna who were resident
around Te Whanganui a Tara (Wellington Harbour) in 1840. In 1888 the Native
Land Court determined 301 beneficial owners of the Tenths Reserves. There are
currently over 4500 beneficial owners descended from them.
The origin of the Tenths goes back to the 1839 deed of purchase by the New
Zealand Company, which promised the chiefs of the Port Nicholson district that
they would retain one tenth of the total land ceded by them to be held in trust
for their heirs forever. The
Port Nicholson Block Claim
is about the taking of Wellington land by various actions of past governments.
The Wellington Tenths Trust administers what was left of the original reserve
of over 4000 acres, on behalf of its beneficial owners.
The Wellington Tenths Trust is an Ahu Whenua Trust. It owns residential and
commercial properties. Recent developments include
Village at the Park, the retirement village at the old Athletic Park
site, Taranaki 217,
student accommodation in Taranaki Street, and a joint venture campus with
Massey University. The Trust is a recognised iwi authority, and as such is in
active consultation and partnership with city and regional Councils regarding
development and long-term planning.